|Borde Hill Garden|
|The thumbnails below are
linked to larger pictures
Borde Hill is a 200 acre informal garden consisting of beautiful parkland and woods. In 1892 the garden just consisted of a few good trees and the usual Victorian shrubs, but in the late 1800's Colonel Stephenson Clarke a keen naturalist, set about creating a garden which was to become internationally recognised for its collections. Borde Hill won the Historic Houses Association, Garden of the Year in 2004
The prime years of the garden development coincided with the feverish plant collecting expeditions fashionable in the early 1900's, by such eminent collectors as E H Wilson, Reginald Farrer and Joseph Rock amongst others. Many expeditions were sponsored by Colonel Stephenson Clarke and the collections included superb rhododendrons and magnolias which continue to give a wonderful display of colour in late spring.
In the grounds is Borde Hill House a Tudor mansion dating from 1598, built by Stephen Borde a physician at the court of King Henry VIII, this is not open to the general public except for occasional special displays, but can be viewed by groups by appointment. Near the house is some more formal planting including a Mediterranean garden and a Rose garden together with the Victorian Greenhouses.
Jay Robin's Rose Garden was designed by RHS gold medallist Robin Williams and planted in 1996. Boasting a lavish display of some 100 varieties of David Austin roses, the Rose Garden comprises a number of formal beds bordered by box hedges amid softly curving paths and walks.
Borde Hill Garden is located near Haywards Heath in West Sussex and is accessed from the A23 Brighton Road and the A272.