|High Beeches Gardens|
|The thumbnails below are
linked to larger pictures
The gardens are at their most colourful in springtime, with the narcissus, enchanting Spanish daffodils and camellias, followed by early rhododendrons, carpets of bluebells, magnolias and finally Azalea time in late May. Spring is the best time to visit but with wildflowers and contrasting foliage plus Autumn colour there is always something worth viewing.
In the early part of the nineteenth century, the building of the Brighton Pavilion and the subsequent increase in traffic, prompted the construction of the London to Brighton post road. The post horses were stabled at the Red Lion Inn at Handcross and many people began to settle on the Forest Ridges, attracted by the beautiful unspoiled landscape.
A substantial mansion with spectacular views across the downs, together with extensive formal gardens and stabling was built at this period. In 1848 the High Beeches mansion and estate were bought by Sir Robert Loder, who enlarged the house and stables and built the Clock tower and Coach House.
The estate descended to Sir Roberts grandson, Colonel Loder in 1906, he died in 1966 when the site was divided up and sold. The house was burnt down in 1942, after being hit by a Canadian bomber aeroplane carrying propaganda leaflets to drop over Germany. The Boscawens bought the Woodland Gardens with the site of the old Mansion house.
High Beeches can be accessed via the A23 Brighton road and the B2110 turn off near Handcross.