|The thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
Squerryes Court at Westerham in Kent, was built in the reign of Charles II, in about 1680 by Sir Nicholas Crisp and is typical of a William and Mary manor house.
The Warde family have lived there since 1731 and the current owner John Warde has only occupied the house since 1980. It was an earlier John Warde who inherited the estate in 1746 and was a great art collector who purchased 93 paintings over a period of 25 years. His fine collection of paintings still adorn the house today and provide an insight into the mid 18th century English art market.
The well proportioned house is constructed of mellow orange brick and set on a terrace with a neat central block of seven bays wide and two storeys high, with an additional attic in the hipped roof. The building is flanked by two small wings forming a forecourt
Squerryes Court is surrounded by parkland with beautiful views over a lake to the hills beyond. The gardens were originally laid out in the formal style around 1700. Later in the 18th century they were landscaped in the natural / Romantic style that was fashionable. The Warde family have recently restored part of the formal garden including the parterres using a 1719 Badeslade print as a guide. The garden is lovely all year round with bulbs, wild flowers, azaleas, summer flowering herbaceous borders and roses, together with woodland walks.
Squerryes Court is located off the A25 adjacent to Westerham in Kent, accessible from junction 6 of the M25.