One of a set of four Canaletto Paintings.
thumbnails below are linked to larger pictures
The manor of Titsey was originally acquired in 1534 by Sir John Gresham, once Lord Mayor of London and a wealthy member of the most eminent merchant dynasty in Tudor England, who was knighted in 1537. The Estate descended in the early 19th century through the female line to the Leveson Gowers, who remained at Titsey until the death of Thomas Leveson Gower in 1992. This last generation of Leveson Gowers were bachelors and lacking any close relations, decided to to preserve the estate for the benefit of the public by setting up the Titsey Foundation as a charitable trust.
The interior of the main part of the house survives as designed by William Atkinson in the 1820's and has well-proportioned rooms with Regency plaster cornices, panelled doors, and simple marble chimneypieces.
The Titsey landscaping as it is today is largely the work of William and Granville Leveson Gower in the 19th century, who planted the park and laid out the garden. Visitors today can enjoy touring the Walled Kitchen garden, the original Main garden, the Golden Jubilee Rose Garden opened in 2002, the lakes and the Woodland Walk. This can be combined with a guided tour of the mansion house, to complete a very pleasant visit.
Titsey Place can be found off the A25 road between Oxted and Westerham near Limpsfield. Note that at present in 2006, it is only open to the public on Wednesdays and Sundays from 1 pm to 5 pm.
Inside Titsey House (reproduced with permission from the official website)